you’re not supposed to take any pictures though…
Earlier this year I decided I wanted to go to Nagoya Anison Festival. I didn’t go to that. I went to Anisama instead. Well, one day of Anisama. If I had known it would be as amazing as it was I would have paid huge amounts of money to go to all three days.
After Comiket, Anisama was but a pleasantly crowded little event. I have no complaints about lines or trains, unlike Comiket. I knew that about Comiket beforehand so it wasn’t like I was shocked when I got there.
Word of advice though. If you plan on not eating at delicious Coco Ichibanya and at one of the many restaurants around Saitama Super arena and Saitama-Shintoshin station, be prepared for a wait. Most of the restaurants we were at had heft line ups. We did find a Hawaiian burger place that was busy but had no long wait and we ate that (though it was no Coco Ichibanya, I assure you).
The actual arena is super easy to navigate. I wish I had had time to look at the flower displays more but though the crowds weren’t comiket bad, they were still pretty unforgiving. I didn’t want to slow the flow of the crowd anyways.
The only time we had to wait in line (aside form shuffling from the entrance to our seats in the unrelenting crowd) was when we went to get stuff from the booths outside. Since this was at the very end of our trip (day three of Anisama was when I was flying home), both me and my friend were dirt poor. We had enough to get the lame glowsticks (which I totally should have bought at the 100 yen store) and the passport and drawstring bag. I wish I had been able to get a shirt or something. Alas. Maybe I’ll see one pop up on Mandarake or something.
Anyways if you’ve never been to a Japanese otaku concert like I had, glowsticks are a waste of time. Get something cool like the King Blade or something to that effect. Bring back up batteries.
Alright. The show. Well I already said it was amazing. It was. Everything about it was. The atmosphere, the surprises, the performers. All of it was overwhelming. I had done so much before this point that I hadn’t even been super excited about Anisama. That was a mistake.
Thanks to Wikipedia, here’s a handy set list.
- Ai wo torimodose!! / Demon Kakka + GRANRODEO (Fist of the North Star OP)
- TRASH CANDY / GRANRODEO (Bungo Stray Dogs OP)
- Outsider / GRANRODEO (Cutie Honey: The Live IN)
- Ripple Effect / Luna Haruna (High School Fleet ED)
- Overfly / Luna Haruna (Sword Art Online ED2)
- Shining Star-☆-LOVE Letter / Yuka Iguchi (Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki theme)
- Lostorage / Yuka Iguchi (Lostorage incited WIXOSS OP)
- Colorful Story / everying! (Re-Kan! OP)
- Yumeiro Gakuin Kouka / everying!
- Cerulean Squash / Yūka Aisaka (Active Raid S2 OP)
- Junshin Always / Azusa Tadokoro (Musaigen no Phantom World ED)
- Blue Water / Azusa Tadokoro + i☆Ris (Fushigi no Umi no Nadia OP)
- Ready Smile!! / i☆Ris (PriPara OP)
- Re:Call / i☆Ris (Sousei no Onmyouji OP)
- Pokémon song medley / Rika Matsumoto + bless4 + i☆Ris
- Mezase Pokemon Master (Pokemon OP)
- OK! (Pokemon Gold and Silver OP)
- Rival! (Pokemon OP)
- Type: Wild (Pokemon ED)
- Mezase Pokemon Master (Pokemon OP)
- innocent promise / TRUSTRICK (Shōnen Maid OP)
- Recall THE END / TRUSTRICK (Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen Mirai-hen ED)
- DEAD OR LIE / Maon Kurosaki feat. TRUSTRICK (Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen Mirai-hen OP)
- Believe / Nami Tamaki (Mobile Suit Gundam SEED OP)
- Belief / May’n (Taboo Tattoo OP)
- Yamaidare darlin’ / May’n (Aquarion Logos OP)
- Macross F song medley / May’n
- Northern Cross (Macross F ED)
- Universal Bunny (Macross F: Itsuwari no Utahime IN)
- Sagittarius☆9PM Don’t be late (Macross F IN)
- Lion (Macross F OP)
- PLANET / THE HELL / Demon Kakka (Terraformars Revenge OP)
- Red Zone / Zwei (Terraformars Revenge ED)
- The Beginning / Yohsuke Yamamoto (Concrete Revolutio ED)
- Katararezu Tomo / ZAQ + Yohsuke Yamamoto (Concrete Revolutio OP)
- Wareru Doukoku / ZAQ (Concrete Revolutio The Last Song OP)
- hopeness / ZAQ (Koukaku no Pandora OP)
- ALL-WAYS / Yohsuke Yamamoto + Nami Tamaki (Concrete Revolutio The Last Song ED)
- Sweet Sensation / Rie Murakawa (12-Sai. OP)
- INSIDE IDENTITY / Rie Murakawa + Yūka Aisaka (Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! ED)
- Fuantei na Kamisama / Suara (Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen OP)
- Kimi ga Tame / Suara (Utawarerumono ED)
- Extra Magic Hour / AKINO with bless4 (Amagi Brilliant Park OP)
- Golden Life / AKINO with bless4 (Active Raid OP)
- Genesis of Aquarion medley / AKINO with bless4 (Genesis of Aquarion OP)
- →unfinished→ / KOTOKO (Accel World ED)
- PLASMIC FIRE / KOTOKO + ALTIMA (Accel World: Infinite Burst theme)
- Burst The Gravity / ALTIMA (Accel World OP2)
- CYBER CYBER / ALTIMA
- M@GIC☆ / Idolmaster Cinderella Girls (The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls)
- The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls song medley / Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
- Mitsuboshi☆☆★ / Sayuri Hara + Tomoyo Kurosawa
- ØωØver!! / Natsumi Takamori + Ruriko Aoki
- Tulip / Yuuko Iida + Amina Satou
- Trancing Pulse / Ayaka Fukuhara + Eriko Matsui + Mai Fuchigami
- S(mile)ING! / Ayaka Ōhashi + Yuka Ōtsubo
- GOIN’!!! / Idolmaster Cinderella Girls (The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls)
- Onegai! Cinderella / Idolmaster Cinderella Girls (The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls)
seriously, don’t take pictures
My favourite performances were when iris stayed on stage, the screen said “with bless4” so it seemed like Akino was coming out but then Rika Matsumoto POPPED out of the ground and sang a Pokemon medley.
May’n had a great stage presence. Like, way more than I expected. She did four Macross Frontier songs though people went nuts as soon as she mentioned the name. Putting the Macross Frontier medley before intermission was great because I was SPENT after that. I was so excited I thought I could faint.
I was so disappointed that AKINO with bless4 didn’t sing the Kancolle opening. Like, I get that Active Raid is airing now but do people really care about Active Raid? And the Kancolle movie is coming out soon so it would have been SOME promo. Still, the Genesis of Aquarion/Sousei no Aquarion with a live choir was a great thing to see.
My personal highlight was the Concrete Revolutio block. Nami Tamaki came out earlier to sang Believe and when she went away right away, I thought for sure that she wasn’t going to sing the ending to Concrete Revolutio S2. Then the guitarist for the first ending did his thing and ZAQ came out and did both openings. I nearly lost my mind at being able to hear both. She did another song, irrelevant and uninteresting, and then Nami Tamaki and Yohsuke Yamamoto came out and did All Ways and woo, lost my mind again.
I didn’t think I was a big Cinderella Girls fan (I definitely like CG more than original 765 Production though) but when they came on stage I definitely teared up. I cheered when Miria introduced herself and gosh, I just can’t stop thinking about Trancing Pulse now.
One thing I was disappointed about was that Kotoko only did Accel World songs. I was so excited to see Kotoko but Accel World is just not that exciting.
Altima announcing their hiatus had the entire crowd go “ehh??” in a really funny way. It also made their CYBER CYBER performance even more exciting. Everyone was so into it.
There were so many great performances. I had lots of fun and, again, I can’t wait to attend another one in the future. Though that won’t be for a long time.
For tickets, I went through this site: http://www.japanconcerttickets.com/. The staff I spoke with, Alan, was very helpful the entire time and managed to get me two dece tickets as soon as general sales opened up. It was slightly cheaper than going on the scalper sites that were my other option but it was pricier.
The tickets themselves are 8700yen but after service fees from the website and everything, I was paying 13501yen in total. So I do recommend the site for getting tickets but if I am going to all three days next time I go to Japan, I think I’ll try and find a way to get the tickets for cheaper.